83 Polling Stations Recounted


Head of Media and Director of Public Outreach at the National Electoral Commission (NEC), Albert Massaquoi has disclosed that the remaining 25% polling stations to be announced cut across the sixteen electoral districts in the country.

He made this disclosure following claims by political parties that the remaining results yet to be announced by the Commission are from their strongholds.

The NEC outreach boss also disclosed that recounting of votes in 83 polling stations including 4 in Kenema, 6 in Tonkolili, 31 in Kambia, 23 in Port Loko, 10 in Bonthe and 8 in Western Area, is currently ongoing, based on complaints received by the Commission.

According to the NEC Spokesman, the Commission was not partial in tallying results for announcement, noting that they have announced results evenly from all polling stations across the country  summing up to the 75% and that the remaining 25% also cuts across all the electoral districts.

He emphasised that 55% valid votes counted is needed to determine the winner of the presidential elections and that in an event where no political party obtains the 55% threshold, the Commission will then  declare a run-off between the two leading presidential candidates just after the final results are announced.

He also emphasised that the Commission will not mortgage accuracy for speedy announcement of results and therefore pleaded with the public to exercise patience.